What Will Break First?

A friend and I had a conversation about my job search and how it has been going.

His first comment was about how much activity I have had and I had to agree with him. I have had quite a bit but activity isn't the same as receiving an offer.

When I mentioned that he told me I should try to maintain a positive outlook and feel good about things.

Since we have been friends for almost thirty years I didn't rip off his arms and beat him to death with them.

I am not a fan of platitudes that are shared without thought or meaning and that is often how people deliver them.

Don't worry, it will all work out is said far too often by people who don't really know if it will and use those words to fill the silence their omission would otherwise cause.

My buddy didn't say it for the sake of filling space or because he thought it was the appropriate thing to say and that was good enough for me. I knew what he meant and why.

But as I told him it is hard not to feel like I am slipping into a hole and hard not to be irritated because I am not sure what the hang up is.

It is possible it has little to nothing to do with me but it is also possible that I might be the source or cause of this,

I am mature enough to want to know the real reason because if it is something I am doing then it is possible I can fix it.

And if it is not, well it is not the first time I have had to deal with bad timing.

Either way I'll get through this moment and I'll find a way to make it work but if you ask me what will break first I'll tell you I don't know.

Might be a job, or it might be me.

No comments:

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...