Immigrant boycott aims to "close" US cities

"LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Pro-immigration activists say a nationwide boycott and marches planned for May 1 will flood Americas's streets with millions of Latinos to demand amnesty for illegal immigrants and shake the ground under Congress as it tackles reform.

But while such a massive turnout could make for the largest protests since the civil rights era of the 1960s, not all Latinos, nor their leaders, were comfortable with such militancy -- fearing a backlash in Middle America.

"There will be 2 to 3 million people hitting the streets in Los Angeles alone. We're going to close down Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, Tucson, Phoenix, Fresno," said Jorge Rodriguez, a union official who helped organize earlier rallies credited with rattling Congress as it debates the issue."
Fine. I don't know that this is going to work out the way they hope it will. I suspect that this will polarize the issue further and create more problems than it solves.
"We want full amnesty, full legalization for anybody who is here (illegally)," Rodriguez said. "That is the message that is going to be played out across the country on May 1."
I'd like to know why he thinks that people should just cross the border and immediately be given citizenship. I understand why people want to come here and am not opposed to legal immigration.

But I have a problem with just giving away citizenship. We should know who is coming in. It is not unreasonable to ask for a little background check, nor is it racist to say that I don't support illegal immigration.

4 comments:

Ray Bridges said...

I've been pretty silent on this subject because I have so many mixed feelings. On the one hand, my friends and cousins in southern California feel they're being invaded. On the other hand, with a curtsy to Carl Sandburg:

Get off my land, I said.
Why he says?
Because it's mine.
Why is it yours?
Because my grandfather and his father fought for it.
Then I'll fight you for it.

It's not a simple question and the answer is difficult. We are all pilgrims searching for a sense of place.

Jack Steiner said...

Houston,

I think that everyone should have the opportunity to improve themselves and their lives.

I understand why they want to come here. My family came a little more than a hundred years ago. I would be hypocritical to say no to immigration, but there are legitimate reasons to be concerned about it.

You are correct, it is not a simple problem.

JJ said...

You're right- and another thing, what about people in the rest of the world who have been trying to get in LEGALLY but haven't been able to? Why should those who illegally snuck across the boarder jump in line ahead of those trying to get in through legal channels?

I think it stinks. Rewarding people for criminal behavior- and to the possible detriment of the USA.

The Misanthrope said...

It will be interesting to see if the protests are as big as advertised.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...