How Much Do You Spend on Entertainment?

The Misanthrope has an interesting post called How Much Do You Spend on Entertainment?

"Over the last 10 years, outlays for entertainment outpaced overall expenditures. Spending on health care and education, which almost doubled in that period, grew faster, according to an article in the New York Times."

It is a worthwhile thought to consider. How much do you spend? Is there any money left for your savings and how much of that is absolutely necessary.

Personally I could probably give up DirecTV, the Net and my cellphone, but for a couple of weeks I would probably resemble a heroin addict.

5 comments:

-Ann said...

When we moved to our house in Wheaton, we were forced to give up our DirecTV because the neighbour's trees blocked our line-of-sight to the satellite. I was surprised that I didn't miss it and I was amazed by all the time I got back. No more Lifetime movies to suck me in and spit out a teary but empowered mess.

Now we live in a house with cable TV, but hardly ever watch it. Just fell out of the habit, I guess.

I could never give up the 'Net though. No way.

Jack Steiner said...

Sometimes I think that I should just throw out the television.

The Misanthrope said...

I'm not sure cell phones or internet connections should be classified as entertainment, of course it depends on how they're used. I will be getting rid of the premium channels soon, probably around Feb. or March.

thank you for the link.

Stacey said...

I hate TV and always have. Just does not feel good to me to sit and stare at a box. Total time waster.

Ezzie said...

Don't own a TV... but can't imagine living without my cell (which is broken!!) and internet connection. Resemble a heroin addict? No. Become one, more likely.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...