You're Responsible

One of my cousins posted this article on Facebook today. I was tempted to respond but I didn't because any time I reply to her political posts I end up going at it with some of her friends and I feel badly when I make them scream.

And believe me, I make them scream.

That is because I tear things apart piece by piece and start asking for fact over opinion and substance over blather.

But it is the New Year and I don't want to start it off by fighting so I am going to share a couple of thoughts here.

Let's start with the headline and why it irritates me:

Republicans Enraged As Obama On Track To Completely Eliminate Deficit By 2017/b>

I am not a fan of finger pointing and name calling.

If we are on the same side and all supposed to be working towards the common good how does this kind of mud slinging help?

Does anyone believe that there is uniformity among all party members in either the Democrat or Republican party?

I certainly don't and I don't see  the advantage or benefit in a false claim.

Now let's look at the lead:

One of the most hurtful lies that Republicans hurl at President Obama is the false claim that he is responsible for the ballooning of our nation’s national debt. It is especially grating to know that couldn’t be further from the truth, since President Obama was forced to inherit George W. Bush’s colossal deficit

The writer used an awful lot of words to say very little.  They could have just said they believe President Obama isn't responsible for the debt because he took over for President Bush.

We're more than halfway into President Obama's second term so I want to know at what point he becomes accountable for what is going on. Every president inherits something(s) from his predecessor.

Party Lines

FWIW I am technically a registered Democrat who voted for Obama twice.

But in practice I am an Independent and have been for years because I grew tired of the bullshit coming from both parties.

I believe in solutions and in working together to achieve them and to my great dismay I see very little of this.

I despise listening to friends/family/supporters of either party prattle on about how awful the other side is because that does nothing to help anyone.

When my kids fight I tell them to figure it out and work it out. If I had the power I'd fire the reps and senators who can't do that.

There is no reason why we should ever face government shutdown or gridlock. It is unacceptable to me.

In the real world if you told your boss you wouldn't work because you didn't like someone they'd smack you around and you'd figure it out or be out of work.

The bottom line to me is at some point we all have to look in the mirror and say "you're responsible" and then make a concerted effort to fix whatever is broken and improve whatever crap we can improve.

If you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem.

Other Things To Read:

No comments:

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...