Children Watch as Snake eats family dog

I don't know about you but I'd be more than a little concerned about this.
BRISBANE, Australia (AP) -- A 16-foot python stalked a family dog for days before swallowing the pet whole in front of horrified children in the Australian tropics, animal experts said Wednesday.

The boy and girl, aged 5 and 7, watched as the scrub python devoured their silky terrier-Chihuahua crossbreed Monday at their home near Kuranda in Queensland state.

Stuart Douglas, owner of the Australian Venom Zoo in Kuranda, said scrub pythons typically eat wild animals such as wallabies, a smaller relative of the kangaroo, but sometimes turn to pets in urban areas.

"It actively stalked the dog for a number of days," Douglas said.

"The family that owned the dog had actually seen it in the dog's bed, which was a sign it was out to get it," he added.

I am not trying to pile on, but if I found a 16 foot python in my house I'd call someone sooner rather than later.

"The lady who was there threw some plastic chairs at the snake, but you've got to remember that this is about 50 kilograms (110 pounds) of aggressive muscle," Rose said.

A plastic chair? If you are going to try and do something that might antagonize the snake and or save the dog it better be more than that. Here is a blurb about this from another news source.

Sydney - An Australian man whose pet dog was eaten by a giant python as his family watched in horror is afraid to leave his children alone at home in case of another snake attack, media reports said on Wednesday.

Can't say that I blame him. I feel badly for the children, that can't be easy to see.

6 comments:

We're the ones who have to put up with them said...

I'm with you. I would have been on the phone immediately. Poor kids...and poor doggie!

Gila said...

So, like, that snake was just hanging around, stalking the dog for DAYS...and no one thought "golly, maybe we should call animal control or something before the beast eats Rover?"

Allrighty then...

Jack Steiner said...

Ellie,

Poor kids and dog is right.

Gila,

It does make you wonder.

miriam sawyer said...

I would move to a more salubrious area.

Baila said...

Life in the suburbs?

Jack Steiner said...

Miriam,

Moving might be a good idea.

Baila,

Just like The Cleavers.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...