Almost Bedtime

It is after midnight. The sole light in the house is that given off by the computer monitor. I had intended to go to bed early. Early for me means before 1 am, but the real goal is to be in bed by 11. I have to be conscious of how long I sit here. I am a night owl and it is way too easy to stay up all night.

I like the night. The quiet of the evening speaks to me. In my younger years it wasn't uncommon to find me out wandering after midnight. I have spent many hours watching the moon cross a star filled sky.

These days that happens less and less. Too many responsibilities and too little time to nap. So in just a few moments I'll wrap it up for the evening.

I'll make the rounds of the house. The doors and windows will be checked. Odds and ends will be put away or at least moved out from beneath my feet so that I don't break my neck.

Gradually I'll head to check on the children. Sometimes I just stand there and stare at them. They sleep so deeply. They haven't reached that place where they worry about paying tuition, a mortgage, health etc.

Truth be told, I sleep pretty deeply, but I miss the carefree sleep they have. Sometimes when I have trouble sleeping I'll sit next to one of their beds and just listen to them breathe. It relaxes me to see that they are oblivious to the stress. It is a father's job to protect his children in all areas.

Every now and then I'll bless them in their sleep. I like to think that they hear it and that deep in their subconscious they know that I am always vigilant about their health and well being.

It is time for this post to end. The drama is a little much for me. To be perfectly honest, what I really want to do now is go play a couple of hours of basketball and then finish up with a good schvitz, but I don't see that happening tonight.

Anyway, it is time to give the children one more kiss goodnight. See you in the morning.

9 comments:

Miss Worldwide said...

I love the night too. It's like entering a parallel world. 1am is early for me too. I find the night amazing for creativity and for thinking. The day is for doing more pragmatic things.

Stacey said...

I love the night too. It is a struggle to get to bed before 12:30 AM, but when I do I feel so much more rested in the morning.

Michael said...

The best moment of the day, always, is when I'm getting ready to go to bed (usually between 12 and 2), and stop to kiss the kids.

To just stand there, in the their doorway, listening to them breathe and know that everything OK with them, is the best feeling in the world.

carl r said...

That's a really sweet post, about your kids. I hope to have that sort of experience some day.

I know what you mean about staying up late, too.

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful.

Gledwood said...

That is a lovely post!
Hi I'm here totally at random... pressed Next Blog and up yours popped ... so just thought I'd at least say hi while I was "lurking" ... I'm at http://gledwood2.blogspot.com ~ drop by some time! See you again hopefully
all the best
from

Gledwood
"vol 2" ...

Chana said...

This is a really beautiful post. I too feel an affinity for the night. Sometimes I go walking by moonlight- or by the neon lights in New York City- and alternatively experience the quiet or the zany craziness that is the city on steroids. But the darkness makes me happy. :-)

Anonymous said...

What a great post. I could almost feel the night, the quiet, the protective vibes of a parent.

I'm an "early to bed, early to rise" person. But lately I find that I can get so much done after 10:00 p.m., when it's quiet, peaceful.

Jack Steiner said...

MW,

A parallel world is a good description.

Stacey,

I know better.

Michael,

It is a great feeling, isn't it.

Carl,

Thanks, I appreciate it.

FF,

Thank you too.

Gledwood,

Feel free to drop by again.

Chana,

The city at night is something else.

Debbie,

Every now and then I make a point of getting up before sunrise. There is something nice about that time too.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...