The Perfect Post- Or Quality Control Of The Blog

Somewhere in the deep dark depths of the remnants of what was once an exceptional memory are fragments of of stories I once knew and I knew many. Those stories are probably the foundation of the man that some people said should become a rabbi.

In fact I suspect that if you conducted a survey of traits required to become a rabbi piety and devotion might not even make the top of the list. Right up there at the top would be stories and story telling. Just for kicks I'll address that question to several of the blogging rabbis:

Rav Fleischmann, RWAC, Fly Fishing Rabbi, Rabbi Sedley and any other rav who wishes to answer. I look forward to your replies.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming. Sometimes I wonder if I have tarnished the image of my blog by posting virtually every silly post that I create. There is no question that the quality of my posts is not uniform. Some are very good and others are relatively bad. So the question remains, do I do myself a disservice by posting everything.

This reminds me of a tale about the Preacher of Dubno that I once read. I am not going to attempt to relate why that is relevant because I have already unsuccessfully tried to do three different times. I wasn't happy with any of them which is why you don't see anything about it here.

I'd continue this but I have run out of steam or maybe it is because I am going to watch Big Love now. Aww heck, if you want more of my thoughts on this try reading this old post. Here I am repeating myself, I thought that it would be a few more years before I turned into my father.

7 comments:

rabbi sedley said...

A couple of quick thoughts about what it takes to be a Rabbi (it probably deserves its own blog, but you asked).
Unfortunately, knowledge, learning and piety are no longer top of the list for most Rabbis and Shuls. It is very unfortunate because most people don't even know what a real Rabbi should be, and they get fooled by all sorts of charlatans.
The most important skill a Rabbi needs (in my opinion) is to be a social worker and counselor. Helping people in times of need is perhaps the most important part of a Rabbi's job.
It helps to like people, love Torah and want to make a contribution. The ability to tell a good story would be a wonderful thing, however not one of my talents, to my shame.
Knowing how to play the political games and deal with machinations of others, as well as being a good public speaker are key assets.
After that, you are on your own.

Rabbi Sedley

Deadman said...

I prefer that to the SIBs that think their every utterance is the word of God.

I want to know what my blog pals are really like. I don't want to read just a bunch of pompous horse manure.

Keep up the good (and bad) work!

Jack Steiner said...

The most important skill a Rabbi needs (in my opinion) is to be a social worker and counselor. Helping people in times of need is perhaps the most important part of a Rabbi's job.

As a layperson I would agree completely with this.

Mark,

Will do. ;)

Anonymous said...

Of course what I meant to also say was please keep up the good work and write like yourself. As Mark said, be yourself. It is you that we want to hear, the real you.
Thank you for the great blog

Rabbi Sedley

Rabbi Eric Eisenkramer said...

As a Rabbi, my vision is to enhance the communal, spiritual and educational life of the synagogue. Some of the traits that required are: kindness, compassion, my own faith and spirituality, teaching and speaking and writing skills, administrative abilities, managerial talents, political know-how, and many others. While I am strong in some areas and could improve in others, I see it as my task to try to constantly grow and become a better Rabbi and a better person. To paraprahse Rabbi Tafron: "It is not your task to complete the work, but neither are you free to desist from it."

I enjoy your blog Jack!

The Fly Fishing Rabbi,
Eric Eisenkramer

Jack Steiner said...

As Mark said, be yourself. It is you that we want to hear, the real you.

I don't think that I could continue as anything but myself.

To paraprahse Rabbi Tafron: "It is not your task to complete the work, but neither are you free to desist from it."


I have always enjoyed that quote. BTW, every time I see your blog I have this desperate urge to get out of the city.

rabbi without a cause said...

Piety, Philanthropy and Patience (well, really stubbornness, but patience starts with a P), in no particular order.

The latter two without the first make for social work, but lose the religious element without which the whole thing falls apart.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...