Glenn Beck's Muddled Mumblings

CNN's Glenn Beck has managed to place himself in quite a position. Here is an excerpt from one of his shows:
"Now, I have said on this program, "I would not vote for Joe Lieberman as president of the United States." I think Joe Lieberman knows how to fight this war. I think Joe Lieberman really gets it. However, even if I didn't disagree with him on so many social issues, I wouldn't vote for Joe Lieberman at this time because of the complications it would add in this country or on the planet right now because of the way the Middle East would use it. That's not saying the same thing as I wouldn't vote for a Jew for president. And yet, people can get away with that."
I don't know think that Beck has thought this through. He says that the only reason that he wouldn't vote for Joe Lieberman is because of how the Middle East would use it. How do you say that and claim that it has nothing to do with his religion.

If he would have limited it to saying that he disagreed with his policies there wouldn't be an issue. Even if I try to give him the benefit of the doubt and say that I don't think that he is making a bigoted statement, well he is.

The reason he says that he cannot vote for him is because of his faith. So this begs the question of what to do about it.

3 comments:

Paula said...

Shit, I wish I had written Lieberman in last time instead of voting for Bush. Wouldn't have made any diff, I know, but at least I'd feel better about it. And isn't that all that counts?? ;)

Jack Steiner said...

It makes a difference, that is for certain.

Anonymous said...

He also equates "Democrat" with "hippy liberal communist", so just consider the source.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...