Save Rent- Live In Your Truck

From the LA Times:
After a long day of film classes, working at the Apple Store, rock climbing at the gym and finishing homework in the student union, Cal State Fullerton senior Andy Bussell heads home — to a white Toyota Tacoma with a twin-size mattress in the truck bed, a camper shell for protection and black curtains for privacy.

The 26-year-old has been living in his truck for nearly 19 months, skirting rules against sleeping in vehicles while otherwise living the life of a mainstream student. What started out as a way to save some cash has turned into a journey of self-reliance and independence.

"Even though I had a good job, I was tired of living paycheck to paycheck and not making any headway with my credit cards," he said. "I've learned that I can push myself, break down my own boundaries. I've been able to learn that I can change and adapt to different kinds of situations."
Just checked out Bussell's blog. Apparently he is a MOT and a participant on Birthright. Interesting idea to live in the back of the truck. Every now and then I have considered taking more extreme measures to save a buck, but this goes beyond what I was thinking about.

3 comments:

The Babka Nosher said...

I just read about him earlier tonight. The idea of sleeping in a truck never appealed to me... until I spent 6 days stuck at home with my kids. Now I'm ready to go buy a truck and make them live in it!!

Deadman said...

We've had middle-aged friends forced to do this by circumstances beyond their control. It sounds a bit romantic until you start to think about the logistics involved, not to mention in the winter it gets goddamned cold in the back of a truck.

Jack Steiner said...

Babka,

C'mon you love being stuck inside all day long with the kiddies. ;)

Mark,

That is the prob with the Bay area, too cold.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...