Math Can Be Useful

Really, it can help you understand how to create a 3D fractal.

Here is some basic information:
Menger’s Sponge - named for its inventor Karl Menger and sometimes wrongly called Sierpinski’s Sponge – was the first three dimensional fractal that mathematicians became aware of. In 1995 Dr Jeannine Mosely, a software engineer, set out to build a level 3 Menger Sponge from business cards. After 9 years of effort, involving hundreds of folders all over America, the Business Card Menger Sponge was completed. The resulting object is comprised of 66,048 cards folded into 8000 interlinked sub-cubes, with the entire surface paneled to reveal the Level 2 and Level 3 fractal iterations.
OTOH, if you have some time and patience and no math ability you just might be able to do this yourself.

3 comments:

Stacey said...

Jackie,

Are you feeling mathematically challenged.

BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

I was just thinking that you should call out to Stacey for this one!

I still count on my fingers, but I can appreciate the aestethic beauty of this object.

Jack Steiner said...

Hmmmmmmmmm.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...