Is Islam Compatible With the West

Newsweek has an interview with Anjem Choudary.

Here is some background:
"Anjem Choudary, 39, has been associated with two such organizations that have been outlawed. A lawyer from Ilford, East London, and a longtime Muslim activist, he was a leader of Al Muhajiroun, a U.K.-based group committed to the creation of a global Islamic state. Al Muhajiroun was dissolved in 2004 and its founder, Omar Bakri Mohammed, deemed “not conducive to the public good” by the British government shortly after he fled to Lebanon in the wake of the July 7, 2005, London bombings."
Some people may consider this to be unfair, but I am going to cite one section of the interview. The line in bold is Newsweek's question.
Is there an inherent conflict between being British and being Muslim?
If British means adopting British values, then I don’t think we can adopt the British values. I’m a Muslim living in Britain. I have a British passport, but that’s a travel document to me.
This very troubling to me. If you have a nation that is full of immigrants you hope that they eventually assimilate and become a productive part of society. That doesn't mean that you have to give up all of your traditions and values, but rather that you include and incorporate those of your new country as well.

This man doesn't see himself as being British. It is just a place that he is living. Think about it. This is rife with potential problems.

No comments:

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...