Commenting on Comments

I have been blogging for a little more than 18 months now. In that time I have generated a little more than 3000 posts. Yes, that is right, more than 3,000 posts. Some of those posts have been pulled down, so the number of posts that is actually live is likely to be different, but you get the general idea.

I am prolific. I have a lot of interests and a lot to say and I do stop every now and then to consider whether what I have to say is meaningful. When I consider why I got into blogging and the reasons why I come back to the same place in which I do see meaning. I blog because this gives me a running diary of my life, a place to vent and the opportunity to engage and interact with interesting people.

I try to visit as many blogs as I can, but time is fleeting and it can be a challenge. Nevertheless I make an effort. I also make an effort to comment. I am not much of a lurker. I am "lurking challenged." Some of that is because I feel a bit of an obligation to comment and not be as voyeuristic as I could be by sitting in the background watching and waiting. You took the time the write so I'll take the time to remark is the unofficial motto.

Posts that have No Comments

Early on in my blogging experience I didn't bother to visit any other blogs and I didn't have any sort of stat counter so many of those early posts are devoid of any sort of comments. There is also a chunk of time in which I used Haloscan. When I removed it I lost all of the comments that had accumulated there.

Why do I mention this? Because now when I go back to my earlier work I notice a number of things. My first thought is almost always how bad those posts were. They were just awful but as I mentioned many times I tend to dislike most of my work. The second thing I notice is whether there are any comments or not.

Posts that have no comments look like orphans to me. Sad and lonely collections of words that have received no love. They stand there in the shadows with their heads hung low and a glum expression on their collective typefaces.

As Forest Gump would say, "that is all I have to say on that for now."

11 comments:

Pragmatician said...

In my opinion commentless post could very well have been read and appreciated, before my blog days I used to visit many blogs yet didn't bother to leave a comment.Ever since I started blogging I appreciate their value more and make an effort.

MC Aryeh said...

Jack, have you stopped reposting old posts? That is a good way to get comments for the commentless...

... Is the Window to Our Soul said...

What a great description of your orphans.

westbankmama said...

Oh,no, another thing to feel guilty about - not commenting!

Should I add this to my list on Yom Kippur? ;)

StepIma said...

Oh no!

You were the first person to ever leave a comment on my new baby blog... now I have to worry it was because you were just taking pity on me in my orphan state...? :)

Ezzie said...

3000... Geez.

And I thought I was prolific.

Anonymous said...

This is me reading this post and not having anything of worth to add in the comment box, but feeling this overwhelming urge to tap the keys anyway. Appreciate the post ... not the guilt, mind you, but the honesty was worth the read.

And I'm hanging my head now, and feeling rather glum about my own orphans. Thanks, Jack. :P

Jeesh.

Has anyone seen my tail? No? (sigh) I think I need a heavy dose of Tiger bouncing about now ...

"No Give and Take. No Exchange of Thought. It gets you nowhere, particularly if the other person's tail is only just in sight for the second half of the conversation." -Eeyore

Richmond said...

At my place, archived posts show a comment count of zero whether they had comments or not. Boo.

(And yes, I upgraded my haloscan "membership" thingy -- oh well...)

dorothy rothschild said...

Sometimes a post will be really great, and I just sit there with nothing to comment because it would seem trite, or cliche, or not worthy of the post.

But I hear you. Sometimes I'll write what I think is a thought-provoking post, and then there will be no comments on that one, but 20 comments on something I write about wedding plans, for example.

tafka PP said...

I meet lots of people who say "Hey, I read your blog, its really funny" but have never commented. And they think I am needy when I complain!

Jack Steiner said...

Prag,

That is true. I don't always comment either, but I do what I can.

MCA,

No, I still bring some of the old stuff up, it just depends on whether I think it merits a second look.

Sweettooth,

Thanks.

Westbankmama,

Yep, more to atone for. ;)

StepIma,

Nah, I did that because I wanted to.

Ezzie,

A big mouth and fast fingers. What can I say.

Stacy,

No guilt needed.

Richmond,

Software is a funny thing, buggy at times.

DR,

Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason.

PP,

I hear you.

Donna,

Very true.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...