King Tut, Dual Identities and More

Twenty-six years ago I was privileged to go to LACMA to see the King Tut exhibit. I was 10 years-old and fascinated by it. I remember being amazed by the things I saw, even then I loved history and it just brought so much to life.

Did I mention that I told old Tut that my people had left his in the dust. I said it with a smirk but what do you expect from a smartass ten year-old boy and didn't the seder remind me every year about how we had overcome Egyptian slavery. But I have to hand to the king, he did have a song written in his honor.

In any case the exhibit has returned to LACMA and I am considering going again. I had been wavering because part of me is a little cash conscious now and I debated about whether it was worth it.

However LACMA in its infinite wisdom has just made me a special offer and I just might take them up on it. There is an upcoming exhibit on the Mayans as well as one on Cezanne and Pisarro that sound interesting.

I love “Curb your Enthusiasm.” The show returns tomorrow and I am really excited, can't wait.

Spent a few minutes watching The Bourne Supremacy tonight. I read the book years ago and saw the movie earlier this year. It was ok, not great, certainly not as good as the first movie, but I enjoyed it. I like action and and as stated so many times I often feel like I have multiple identities.

I am a father, a husband, son, brother and more. I am a student, a lover of life and someone who is forever restless. My soul is unfettered and free, but I am not and that is just how life is sometimes. When I can I let it roam and perhaps that is why I write.

My fercockteh digestive system has been acting up again. Not unlike so many things in life the problems here are cyclical and really seem to be more related to stress than anything else. Sometimes it doesn't matter what I eat because the problems show up. On the whole I feel like I deal with it all pretty well, there are people who refuse to leave the house and I must say that I understand it.

Bathroom issues can be very difficult to discuss and if you think about you are taught at an early age that if you do not follow social conventions and use the toilet there is something wrong with you. Now don't get me wrong, there are so many reasons why this is not just a good idea but a necessity, but when you are faced daily with the fear of not making it on time you begin to think differently.

A short time ago I was told by a colleague that they were amazed that a man my size could move so quickly. Apparently they saw me sprinting through the mall and even witnessed my vaulting over a bench the way OJ used to clear through the airport in those Hertz commercials.

They had no idea that I was hellbent on getting to a bathroom and short on time. Should I have been offended that they referred to me as a "man my size" or should I have written described me in that manner. Hmmm...I don't care.

I might add that one of the men that I play basketball with has said that he hates setting a pick or screen on me because he invariably remembers the game for the next three or four days. Can I tell you how much I love that. I really do. It is not because I want to hurt anyone but because I am a little boy and like so many other little boys I like to feel like I am the strongest man around.

Speaking of physical strength I am still engaging the little boys at the gym in various tests of strength, or as I said to one, It is always the First night of Festivus here at which point I found out that there are more differences between 20 and 36 then I had realized because he had no idea what I was talking about.

I also found out that he is just as dumb as I was at 20 in the respect that when I was that age I really thought that someone of my current age was really slowing down. What I didn't know was the slowing down meant that they couldn't go off and drink all night for weeks at a time and still function and had nothing to do with physical strength.

Anyway I talked him into two basic contests. The first was a simple military lift, the second was a basic curl and the the third was done on one of the rowing machines. I won each time because I set him up. I watched him lift on several different occasions and had a decent idea of what he could do.

Not that any of this means anything, but sometimes the simple things in life make me happy. Speaking of that, his girlfriend later approached me and wanted to know what my sign was. Being a student of Groucho I said open and then when she said that she didn't understand I said frequently, this too was met with a blank stare at which point I realized that the reader who said that I was neither funny nor witty might be right, or maybe not. Part of the joy of being me is that I am my own best audience. Call me a narcissist but don't call me late for dinner I like to eat.

BTW, I am a Taurus which according to her is why I won because he is a Pisces and everyone knows that the Bull beats the fish.

I am ready to write more but this post is getting a little wordy and some of you are probably bored and or starting to fall asleep which begs the questions of what are you doing here and why are you still reading me. You must really enjoy being punished.

Plenty more of this nonsense to be shared at a later date.

3 comments:

Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

I had a friend in college who had been turned off of Judaism when a Hebrew School teacher berated her for being interested in Egyptology.

PsychoToddler said...

Had a condo made of stona.

Jack Steiner said...

Steg,

Stories like that just irk me.

PT,

It is always refreshing to know that there are people out there who get all of the references.

Mirty,

The scalper really made me laugh. I have had that discussion so many times.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...