Songs I Listened To This Evening

Lay Lady Lay- Bob Dylan
Knocking on Heaven's Door- Bob Dylan
Chop Em Down- Matisyahu
Kolhaoloam- Moshe Skier Band
Institutionalized- Suicidal Tendencies
Mud on the Tires- Brad Paisley
I Can't Make You Love Me- Bonnie Raitt
Ain't That a Kick In The Head- Dean Martin
All My Rowdy Friends Are Coming Over Tonight- Hank Williams Jr.
Rime of the Ancient Mariner- Iron Maiden

If you haven't figured it out yet I have fairly diverse taste in music. Tonight I came across a ticket stub from a wedding I went to in Houston back in '93. I surprised a few of those Texans. I know how to two step and when I want to I have one heck of a drawl.

Actually if I am around others who speak that way it just comes out. I find accents to be interesting that way, they have a way of surfacing around others who speak in a similar fashion. I may blog about that later.

Back to Two-Stepping. I own a pair of boots to go with the accent and the attitude. I learned how to do it back in the late 80's but I really didn't get the hang of it until I went out with a couple of friends in the early '90s. It was when the whole country-western line dancing craze was in full bloom and it was a heck of a lot of fun.

My teachers were not just friends, but female friends. If you want to feel like a big man in a bar try having two women teach you how to dance. No seriously, it was fun. One assumed the normal position of facing backwards and the other lined up right behind me. It made it much easier because grace is not something that comes easily to me. I am a Taurus and built like a bull and tend to move like one.

But the girls made it easy by squeezing the hand/shoulder of whatever foot I was supposed to move so eventually I got the hang of it. Spent a lot of hours at Denim & Diamonds making use of my skills.

I also admit to half expecting some kind of brawl to break out as if I was in some spaghetti western. I was ready and waiting to break a bottle/chair over someone's head, but fortunately the opportunity never presented itself. Maybe I spent too much time at Universal Studios as a kid. Have to think about that one.

3 comments:

AbbaGav said...

"All I wanted was a Pepsi! Just one Pepsi!". Sorry, I couldn't stop myself. It's your music list's fault. I feel better now, thanks.

Jack Steiner said...

Gavriel,

It has been years since I first heard that song. Drinking a Pepsi has never been the same.

Anonymous said...

I've went to Denim and Diamonds in the past. Maybe we danced together!

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...