Looting In New Orleans

I was really disappointed with this story, but one line in particular struck me.

"Mike Franklin stood on the trolley tracks and watched the spectacle unfold.

"To be honest with you, people who are oppressed all their lives, man, it's an opportunity to get back at society," he said."

What the hell is wrong with him. That is so twisted and so wrong. I hate people who make excuses like this. There are a lot of people who have grown up with next to nothing that do not resort to stealing.

3 comments:

Irina Tsukerman said...

My gosh, what does he know about oppression. Has he grown up in slavery? In a totalitarian dictatorship? Ugh, I can't stand this.

stc said...

This sentence got me:

people were running out with grocery baskets and coolers full of soft drinks, chips and diapers.

Diapers, I can understand. Soft drinks maybe, since they can't likely turn on the tap for a drink; but bottled water would be a better choice.

And chips? These are people whose god is their belly. People have died, houses have been destroyed, businesses and jobs are gone forever … and these losers can only think, "Here's my chance to score some free chips!"
Q

Jack Steiner said...

The looting just disgusts me. It is shameful.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...