'The Blues Brothers' marks 25 years with new DVD edition

One of my favorite movies of all time.

"It's been 25 years since the release of "The Blues Brothers," a manic comedy crammed with music, dancing and action scenes, filmed largely in Chicago, directed by Landis and starring John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd as music-loving brothers who find themselves "on a mission from God."

As Jake and Elwood, the "Saturday Night Live" led police, Illinois Nazis and a furious country act on spectacular chases ("Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now") and reunited their band to raise $5,000 to save their childhood home -- the St. Helen of the Blessed Shroud orphanage.

And while the cult classic appeared on screens in the summer of 1980, its influence is still felt -- in the various musical ventures in which Aykroyd remains involved, its influential soundtrack, the countless times it airs on television each year, and the boost it gave to Chicago's then-dormant film industry.

Plus, the movie highlighted musical legends such as John Lee Hooker, Cab Calloway, James Brown, Aretha Franklin and Ray Charles.

"I think you can see in the movie how passionate, really passionate John and Danny were about the music," Landis said. "It's a unique situation where you have two guys who are exploiting their own celebrity of the moment to focus a spotlight on these great acts."

5 comments:

BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

It is easy to get pasionate about music. I remember the Blues Brothers, and there was something magical about them.

Thanks for the memories.
Back to writing.

bornfool said...

My friends and I were juniors and seniors in High school when that came out. We dressed up for halloween (at work) like them. Great movie. Great memories.

Jack Steiner said...

The music most definitely helped to make the movie. It was my first introduction to John Lee Hooker.

There are so many other great performers as well.

PsychoToddler said...

The bass player is playing the same bass that I just bought. The horn players played on a few Shlock Rock Albums with me. And the final car chase over the unfinished highway was actually filmed in Milwaukee. The bridge has been finished and I drive over it everyday.


And I hate Illinois Nazis.

Jack Steiner said...

PT,

You just made me smile. :)

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...