Deep Throat- One More Comment

Since the revelation of the identity of Deep Throat there has been a ton of analysis and conversation about whether Deep Throat was really one person or if there were several people with Felt serving as the funnel or conduit of information.

There has also been a lot of rhetoric about why he came out now and suggestions that the desire to capitalize upon a book deal is opportunistic, unfair and in general a whisper that this should reflect poorly upon Felt and his family.

I am bothered by a few things. I have yet to read anything that provides a substantive reason as to why there is a need to verify whether Felt worked alone or not and whether Woodward/Bernstein spiced up the story a little with their descriptions of covert communications.

Am I interested in learning whether there was more than one person? Yes, I am. But I am also interested in seeing these pundits give a reason why they need to know more. What do they intend to do with this knowledge.

In relation to Felt and family trying to make a buck off of this I have to say, "So What." What does it matter, Why do you care. Why is it ok for Woodward to try and do so and not them.

In short I think that there are a lot of smart answers but I am not hearing or reading them. I don't like settling for supposition, whispers and ridiculous commentary.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What I find galling is the rhetoric flying around that vilifies Felt for having leaked information in the first place. Whatever the man's reasons for doing what he did, he was not the crook. Those who got busted did what they did. They were convicted and served time for it. And a corrupt president was impeached.

It's ths same line of reasoning that would call anyone criticizing the current administration--where is our Felt?!--unpatriotic or a threat to national security or our armed forces overseas.

stc said...

I'm with you, Vince. Felt did the right thing (exposing corruption). Arguably, his motives were mixed, but I think he acted at least partly for the right reasons. So why is he being vilified? — I honestly don't understand the moral squeamishness.
Q

Jack Steiner said...

Most of the badmouthing that I have heard has come from men who were part of Nixon's white house machine.

So from one perspective I can understand their anger and their attempt to get back at someone who got them.

But in the end I still come back to the place in which we look at a number of illegal actions as well as some legal, but shady deals.

I wish that they would just shut up and take responsibility for their own actions.

The Misanthrope said...

Add me to the chorus of agreeing with you all. Bravo, Felt.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...