Elvis, The iPod and Darth Vader

The first time I really remember hearing anything about Elvis was the news of his death, I was 8 years-old.

I don't remember exactly what I heard but I do remember the news making a big deal of it, the King was dead. It seemed a little odd to me, my parents didn't play his records so I wasn't real familiar with him.

When I was editor of my university newspaper I received a 4 page letter (typed, single space, using both sides of the paper) about why Elvis was the greatest entertainer who ever lived. I wish that I would have kept the letter, it was incredibly detailed and really very well written.

It is almost 30 years later and the Cult of Elvis still lives on. It is not somethng that I would want for myself. I don't mind being the center of attention upon occasion, can deal with sporadic fame, but I don't want the Elvis treatment.

No need for people to make their living by becoming professional Jack Benimble impersonators. It is kind of a funny thought to me because I don't think that I have done nearly enough to warrant that kind of attention, let alone provide enough material for an act.

In any case, I wonder if Elvis rests peacefully.

Thanks to the efforts of collective gift giving I am now the proud owner of an iPod. Thus far I have nothing but good things to say about it. I have already loaded 1846 songs on it. If I am not mistaken it holds somewhere around 5,000 songs on it so I have a long way to go.

Here is a list of the last dozen songs I have listened to:


Always on My Mind Pet Shop Boys
Always on My Mind Willie Nelson
America The Beautiful Willie Nelson
America The Beautiful 1972 Ray Charles
Amor, Vida De Mi Vida Plácido Domingo
Anakin vs. Obi-Wan John Williams
And It Stoned Me Van Morrison
Dancing Queen ABBA
City Of New Orleans Arlo Guthrie
Iron Man Black Sabbath
We've Got Tonight Bob Seger

And one of the really cool things is that I found out that my iPod works with the very old cassette adapter I purchased in 1989 so that I could play CDs in my car.

Been feeling really tired lately, can't figure out if I have sleep apnea or am just worn out. Could be a little of both, who knows. There is an awful lot going on right now so it wouldn't surprise me to find out that it is nothing more than stress.

I taught my son how to breathe like Darth Vader. He keeps asking me why I call him Luke and tell him to come to the Dark Side. I keep giggling at the thought of his being old enough to appreciate watching the movies with me.

Speaking of movies the other day I caught him saying "Fredo!" This was followed by something that sounded like "Luca Abrazzzzzi sleeps with the fishes." Or maybe he was just saying "my preciousssssssssss."

Ok, that is it for now. See you in the A.M.

No comments:

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...