The Look and Layout of this blog

I am not completely happy with how this blog looks. There are a number of things that just rub me the wrong way. It is not like this is terrible, but it feels choppy and uneven. I suppose that is kind of a good description of me, I am choppy and uneven. But this is not about me.

I think that I'd like to have categories for my posts and I'd definitely like to clean up the look a little bit more. It would be nice if all of the posts used the same font, but some of that is to be expected with free software.

Don't get me wrong, I am grateful to have this opportunity and think that overall this appears to be a pretty good product, but I know that there are some coding issues that are not as clean as they could be.

The bottom line is that I still write for me and for no one else. I find this to be so cathartic. But the rules of the blog ensure that I also admit that I really enjoy the interaction. I like knowing that there are people reading this everyday, even those of you who do not comment.

A very dear friend would say that I just like being stroked and to that I say, so what. Who doesn't enjoy being complimented. But the reality is that a large part of what I get from this blog comes from being able to engage in dialogue. Readers require honesty and that is important.

Without readers it is a little bit like clapping with one hand. Although, if I was stuck in that situation I would smack my chest. It wouldn't quite be a clap and it might make me look more simian like than I do now, but I don't give up easily.

Good night from Los Angeles, the Shack is closing early this evening.

3 comments:

Irina Tsukerman said...

Hi, I'm a new visitor to your blog, but I'm fascinated already. I don't know too many eclectic blogs, but it looks like this one is exactly what I'm looking for, since I seem to share many of your interests. The font is totally fine, don't worry about it.

Actually what I found really interesting about your entry is that you write for yourself, though most bloggers usually write for an audience. I'm also a blogger, and what I initially tried to with my blog was to turn it into a discussion group since my blog is also eclectic. That, however, didn't work out, since my audience is very limited and mostly silent, so I wound up writing for myself, (though keeping an imaginary audience in mind just for fun). I love writing, so I can appreciate the cathartic (and addictive) effect of blogging. How did you come to create a blog?
Irina

Stacey said...

More simian than you do now? Surely you jest!

P.S. I like the look of your blog, just not the small font on the side. Beyond that, it looks great.

Jack Steiner said...

Hi Irina,

I am not sure exactly how I made the decision to blog. All I know is that one day I decided that it was time and here I am.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...