Songs That You Have To Sing Along With

It is no secret that I love music. Every couple of weeks I write another post in which I refer to song lyrics or list the last dozen songs that graced my stereo. Music is passion. Music is feeling. Music is emotion. Music touches you in places that are hard to reach. Music is a snapshot in time. Turn on certain songs and the memory parade makes an immediate appearance.

It is a universal experience. One of the most popular posts I have written is: What Are Your Favorite Song Lyrics? Not a day goes by in which it doesn't receive traffic. Music has that kind of power and influence. To me it is not a surprise that there are some songs that you just have to sing along with.

Initially when I was writing this post I thought that I would share five or six songs with you and that these would represent the songs that I have to sing along with. But the more I thought about it the more I realized that I cannot limit it to so few. There are too many good songs that catch my ear and hold me.

Instead I am going to try and come up with a slightly different angle. Here is an incomplete list of songs that are virtually guaranteed to make an appearance at campfires, parties and random gathering of people.

Hmm... I wonder if this is going to date me.

Your Song- Elton John
Rocket Man- Elton John
You Have Got a Friend- James Taylor or Carole King
Great Balls of Fire- Jerry Lee Lewis (If there is a piano this is a gimme)
Pinball Wizard- The Who
Cat's In the Cradle- Harry Chapin
You've Lost That Loving Feeling- The Righteous Brothers (Thanks Top Gun for killing this tune)
The End- The Doors (Obviously this is an end of the night, slightly inebriated tune)
Brown Eyed Girl- Van Morrison
Wonderful Tonight- Clapton (How many times have you seen some guy try to sing this to his date. It can be painful to watch.)
Piano Man- Billy Joel
Forever Young- Alphaville (I included this because of one of my little sisters. How many times did she and her friends cry listening to this song. Oy.)
In My Life- The Beatles
Down On The Corner- CCR
Bridge Over Troubled Water- Simon and Garfunkel
Do Wah Diddy- Manfred Mann
Thank God I am A Country Boy- John Denver
Annie's Song- John Denver
Hotel California- The Eagles
My Way- Frank Sinatra
American Pie- Don Mclean

As I said this is incomplete. What am I missing?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paradise by the Dashboard Light - Meatloaf

I Will Survive - Gloria Gaynor

It's Raining Men - The Weather Girls

Maybe these last 2 are chick songs :-)

Oxmyx said...

Do You Feel Like We Do - Peter Frampton

A Day in the Life - The Beatles

She Loves You - The Beatles

Dr. Lisa said...

Excellent list.

I used to love Alphaville's Forever Young.

Heather at My Coupon Coop said...

Oh, I love so many of those songs! I actually dated myself by including lyrics from "The Piano Man" in one of my own blog posts lol

I hear you on Top Gun! I can't really do the "best ever" thing. Too many and too few, and totally depends upon my mood at the time. (Cop out good enough for you? hee hee)

Melissa @ The Best Nest said...

Sweet Home Alabama for sure, great list, might whip that up in itunes right now!

bernthis said...

you are definitely revealing your age which is clearly my age as I love all those songs

Jack Steiner said...

TRR,

I have been to a bunch of weddings where they play I Will Survive. In under 30 seconds the dance floor is covered with women while the men run for cover.

Oxmyx,

Peter Frampton, that is a good one.Show me the Way. ;)

Dr. Lisa,

That was a big one for a while.

Heather,

That is fair. That is kind of answer I give when people ask me to tell them what five books/albums I'd bring to a desert island.

Melissa,

Lynrd Skynrd is a good choice. Gimme Three Steps comes to mind as well.

Bernthis,

Good taste in music. ;)

Anonymous said...

My father was a music snob so I can singalong to any Beatles, Hendrix or Stones songs. ANYTHING ELSE earlier than 1980 and I am totally lost (also, anything that was post-1980 and not New Wave, Punk, Post Punk or Justin Timberlake) - I felt like a total outsider at a Flaming Lips show once when they covered War Pigs and the whole audience was singing along. Also. Tiny Dancer. Damnit I need to learn the words to Tiny Dancer.

Jack Steiner said...

The beauty of the internet is that you can look up the lyrics to any song. Makes it easy. I do it all the time.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...