Back To School Time Makes Me Sad

Some people love this time of year. They enjoy all of the hustle and bustle surrounding back to school. If you ask them they'll give you all sorts of reasons why they do. They like the feeling of a new year, the appreciate the excitement of new challenges in school etc.

Not me.

I love summer. It has been my favorite time of year for as long as I can remember. The long summer days and cool summer nights always feel like they have so much potential. I love going to the beach and walking barefoot in the sand. I love the feel of the sun on my back. It makes me feel alive.

Back to school marks the beginning of the end of this time. The carefree attitude of summer is replaced by a more serious demeanor that I find ill fitting. Give me a choice between a suit and tie versus shorts and tank top and I'll go casual every time.

Sometimes I think that my life was meant to be spent living on a boat and just sailing around the world. But then reality hits me square in the nose and I know otherwise.

I'll hold onto my summer for as long as I can.

4 comments:

benning said...

For me Autumn and Winter are the times I love most. The only thing lacking at those times of year are the thunderstorms that make me the happiest. I just love the flash and crash of a big storm!

Jack Steiner said...

Sometimes I enjoy thunder storms too.

Michael said...

I love the summer, but it's too darn hot here in Israel. Fall and Spring are the best times of year, climate-wise.

And as for back to school, well, it's only one more week until Big Girl heads back to preschool and stops dangling off my arm all day...

Jack Steiner said...

I enjoy the heat.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...