Spinning In Circles- I Am The Anti-witness

I have received numerous comments and more than a few emails about my post on witnessing. So I thought that I'd write another post on this and throw it out to see what sticks.

This discussion irks me and it is something that gets beneath my skin for a variety of reasons so I have to try hard not to really speak my mind because my goal is not to offend people. Although the reality is that I see witnessing as being exceptionally offensive.

Religion is a very personal matter and considerate people understand that. Considerate people are careful in trying to open a dialogue about religion. That means that they take a soft and subtle approach to see if there is interest in speaking about their religion and why it is meaningful to them.

Unfortunately the world is filled with people who are blinded by their own faith and allegiance, who have such tunnel vision that they will make excuses for the most shameful and worst kinds of behavior.

They think nothing of using deception, coercion and subterfuge to try and convince people to support their line of thinking. They are so wrapped up in this conceit that they are unable to see why it is offensive and why it is problematic.

I realize that this is very general and that it doesn't contain specific references to people or things but that is intentional. I have no problem speaking my mind and am not shy about calling people onto the carpet if I think it is necessary. This is just general venting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wanted to take this opportunity to say Happy New Year (a day or two late, I know).

Also wanted you to know that my church just had a Sunday night service to pray for the peace of Jerusalem. I myself am a little sceptical that this will ever happen in this world, inasmuch as the conflict goes back to Isaac and Ishmael, and the prophets and Psalms seem to indicate that the conflict won't be resolved anytime soon. Nevertheless, here's hoping.

Shalom.

Jack Steiner said...

Hi Andrea,

I hear you.

Scott,

Thank you for the well wishes, I appreciate it.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...