The Road Not Taken


Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth; 5
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same, 10
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back. 15
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
The Road Not Taken- Robert Frost

That video above has resonated with me ever since I first saw it.

I watch it and I can hear echoes of the future and hints of the past. Reminders that for better of for worse I have chosen to do things in an unconventional fashion.

The life of a writer calls to me. I can hear the sound of my voice pushing my children to live their dreams and not dream their lives away.

It doesn't mean much to them, this push to try to find that place somewhere over the rainbow. They don't have life experience that tells them that something might be too hard or too tough. It is part of the joy of talking to them, that uninhibited imagination that sees all things as being possible.

It is a gift that they gave back to me. It took a little time to remember who I was and really who I am- but I have. These are not empty words to me but a promise to myself. In the quiet of the night as I close my eyes I do so with a smile knowing that I am making steady progress towards hitting the mark.

So perhaps the road less traveled by means a more difficult path but I have to agree with Frost that it has made all the difference.

No comments:

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...