I Am Not Chris Brogan

Chris Brogan is one of my favorite writers/bloggers/businessmen. He consistently produces great content that has significance and meaning. It is not easy to do that and do it consistently. It takes a mixture of talent and common sense. If you want to be a successful blogger he is a great role model and someone that you can learn from.

Go read How To Write Effective Blog Posts and you'll see an excellent outline of how to get it done. And if you are like me you'll look at his instructions and realize that you don't really follow his model. You are like Ferdinand the bull, just kind of hanging out smelling the roses.

That is not necessarily a problem. Much of it has to do with what your end goal is for your blog. I like running this joint my way. Works for me, keeps me happy and that it is a good thing. People may say that if mama is not happy no one is happy, but they forget that dear old dad can get mad.

And that my friends is not good, you don't want to aggravate dad. Don't go poking and prodding the bull because he doesn't like it. He is tolerant to a point after which he will enjoy sticking his horns in places that they are meant to be stuck.

But I digress, let's go back to Mr. Brogan's blog and his ideas for how to get it done. There may be a ton of ways to make this medium work but that doesn't mean that you have to reinvent the wheel either. This is why I recommend finding a blogging mentor. They don't have to be someone that you talk to. You can learn a lot just by reading.

Still, it never hurts to try and establish some sort of rapport with them. Social media is all about being social. Send them an email, contact them via Twitter. There is a remarkable amount of access to people- don't be shy. Be polite and be direct. Especially if you pick someone whom you know is exceptionally popular as it is that much harder to get their attention.

FWIW, I have had several exchanges with Chris. He seems like a very personable and approachable guy. That is important. If you are going to use social media, than be social

What do you think?

No comments:

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...