Time to Say Goodbye to 2009

I want to do a year end roundup of the best posts of 2009 but I am not sure if I am going to get around to it. I am a bit schizophrenic about this in that I have this love/hate thing going on with my writing.

I am a competent writer who sometimes produces some excellent content. Sometimes I read a post and a smile breaks across my face because I know that I have created something special that I can be proud of. But it is not uncommon for me to read a post over and cringe. Because some of it is crap, just horrible stuff.

I don't know if I am going to get around to doing it. This is one of those moments where being so prolific is problematic. There are more than 1,000 posts to review. Sure some of them are videos, audio posts or recycled material, but they all take time.

So I am asking myself how serious do I want to be. Do I want to be thorough about this? Do I want to dig in and find the gold nuggets from every month, or do I want to kind of half-ass my way through it. There aren't any prizes to be won, no awards to be had.

Really, I am just doing this for myself. Anyway, that raises a few more questions and comments that I ask myself this time of year.

1) How much longer do I want to keep going? Started in May 2004. Do I have more to say?
2) Is it time to purchase a domain and move over to Wordpress?
3) Do I want to change my focus or keep on doing what I am doing?
4) Should I serenade you all with the ballad I wrote for The Shmata Queen.

The good news for you is that unlike your math book you will not have to turn to the back of the book to get the answers to your questions.

1) The question is not whether I have more to say but am I interested in continuing. And the answer is yes, for now.
2) I might have already done so. You'll find out.
3) In spite of appearances I don't really have ADD. I can focus on specific topics. But I do this for fun, so I'll keep writing about whatever the hell I want.
4) No. I will not serenade you all with that particular ballad, at least not until it is released on iTunes. Rumor has it that it is coming out late next year. I don't mention burning rivers or cleveland in it.

And now I am off to bed. Got a conference call scheduled for ohmylorditistoodamnearlytobeawake.

2 comments:

Heather at My Coupon Coop said...

Don't you dare quit! I just found you! Plus, you're more of a nut than me so it benefits me to keep you around, and all that matters is what benefits me.

Oh, you are so compelled to organize. I can totally relate. Keep it up!

Jack Steiner said...

Hey Heather,

I'm about to start my six year of blogging and haven't quit yet. But we never do know what the future holds. Maybe I'll get a book deal and be forced to put this on hold or maybe ten years from now I'll still be here boring people. ;)

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...