The Best is Yet To Come- Or Getting Out of My Own Way

I try not to spend too much time thinking about the past. It is not always easy, I am sentimental and nostalgic. It is fun to look at old photos and share stories with the boys. None of us want to accept that there have been any significant changes, at least physically.

It is easy to slip into the idea of being As Good As I Once Was;

I ain't as good as I once was
I got a few years on me now
But there was a time back in my prime
When I could really lay it down
And if you need some love tonight
Then I might have just enough
I ain't as good as I once was
But I'm as good once as I ever was
Don't get me wrong. I like the song. I like the video. I accept that I can't do some things the way that I used to and that is ok. But what bothers me is the idea of having to look backwards as if the best part of my life is over. That I cannot do.

To say that I am 40 years-old and the best is behind me is unacceptable. So I try to maintain a different perspective. I have a number of dreams that I want to turn into reality. Goals and objectives to be met.  When I think of them I smile and sometimes wonder how I can make them happen.

Well, the answer is that I need to get out of my own way. I need to stop myself from erecting fake hurdles and stumbling blocks because most of them aren't limited to fantasy. They are dreams, but they are dreams that can be converted into reality.

All I need to do is get out and make them happen. I may have more responsibilities than before and physically I may not be who I was. But I am smarter, mentally tougher and far more clever. Age has some benefits. The bottom line remains, all I need to do is get out of my own way.

2 comments:

V-Grrrl said...

Around the time I was 40, this healthy-eating, vitamin taking, distance running grrrl was hit with some health issues that changed all my ideas about who I was and how I was going to age. It's been hard to come to terms with. My mind works differently too, not better or worse, just not the way it always operated. Interesting time in my life.

Jack Steiner said...

The physical changes are hard, no doubt about that. I think that my mind operates pretty much as it always has, but different is ok with me.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...