Lost Children of The Holocaust

Quite a story here. I'l try to elaborate upon it later.

Here is a brief description from the video:

Legend tells that after the Holocaust, R. Yosef Kahaneman zt'l , the Ponevezhe Rov began looking for Jewish children who had survived the war. It was known that some of the children had ended up in churches and were being raised as Christians. The Rov encountered one church that denied the existence and presence of Jewish children within their midst... He was granted permission to enter the children's quarters to inspect for himself -- when he entered he began calling out "Shema Yisroel" and instinctively many of the children raised their hands to cover their eyes and started calling out "mama! mama!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this, Jack. I find it interesting that those two words, Shema Yisrael, can be so powerful. I was watching a film the other week and there was an unexpected scene in it including the Shema - I suddenly realised I was joining in quite unconsciously.

Words. Very powerful.

rachel

Jack Steiner said...

Hi Rachel,

Words are very powerful. I try to remember that when I speak so that I don't cause undue stress.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...