How To Tie A Tie

In the grand tradition of The Shack I bring you more useful information. Some of the men out there are obligated to wear an old fashioned neck tie to work or other events. I imagine that many of you were taught how to tie-a-tie by your father or some older male relative.

In my case I learned from a family friend. My father tried to teach me on a number of occasions, but invariably we banged heads about how to do it. It wasn't like it was really that difficult, but the younger version of me was far more ornery than the kind and gentle unit you experience today. As a result the guy who really taught me how to do it was not my father.

It was probably better that way, but that is a different story altogether. As far as this post goes I am about to provide you with a link that provides instructions on four different ways to tie-a-tie:
Windsor Knot

Half Windsor Knot

Four in Hand Knot

Pratt Knot
If you are curious Old Jack prefers to use a Windsor Knot. Incidentally this link takes you to site that lays claim to 85 different ways to Tie-A-Tie. If you ask me that is a little excessive, pull too hard on an average tie and you still choke yourself.

One more tidbit of information about me. I don't like wearing ties all that much, but in a strange contradiction I probably own close to a 100. I figure if you have to wear it you might as well own ones that you like. I tend to be fond of Jerry Garcia's line, but there are many others that I like.

Last comment about ties. I hold onto mine forever. I even have the one I wore at my Bar-Mitzvah. It might look a bit dated now, but one day it is going to be back in style.

3 comments:

Deadman said...

When I waited tables I had to wear a tux. I hate clip-on bowties so I learned to tie the real deal.

That is an accomplishment, and a dying art!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reference. As the single mom of a boy (and a girl, but she doesn't wear ties) I've, still in charge of tyage, so I've saved this post and site as a resource for when he begins to care how he looks.

Jack Steiner said...

Mark,

That is pretty cool.

Fee,

Happy to be of help.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...