The Back Door Was Wide Open

I must have fallen asleep on the couch. A cool breeze across my legs woke me up. I sat up and wandered towards the back of the house. A utility bathroom was my destination. It is part of a regular route and ritual. Each night I head there to plug my cell phone into the charger and take care of last minute business.

Tonight was no different than any other night. I trudged through the house using my own sense of Radar. Eyes half closed I navigated around furniture and toys. As I got closer to the bathroom I noticed it was progressively getting colder. The change was striking. Initially I thought that it was due to the change in my having just woken up and then I realized that I didn't just feel a breeze, I could hear it whistling through the house.

The back door was open.

The back door was open and I couldn't remember having gone through that door. The back door was open and not only couldn't I remember having used the door, I couldn't remember anyone having used it.

The back door was open. It was dark and my family lay asleep in the house unaware that our security was compromised. In a heartbeat I went from being a moment away from returning to slumber to being fully awake. I paused for a moment and held my position. In the dark I listened for sounds that didn't belong.

Soft and purposeful steps took me through the house to check on the children. I didn't really think that anyone had come inside. I didn't really think that the evil that lurks in the dark had penetrated the defenses and taken the opportunity to enter, but then again strange things happen.

The dark has been a source of discomfort for me since early childhood. At times the dark has terrified me. It comes from having a graphic imagination. As an exercise in control I have forced myself to walk through the woods without a flashlight just to prove that the hidden monsters I was sure lay out there really weren't.

Adrenaline pumping I patrolled the interior of the home and looked for someone or something that didn't belong. I didn't know how the door had ended up wide open but the fear of what could be turned into anger. If I found that thing, if in the dark of the house I stumbled upon it I was prepared to eat it alive. Inside my home I am the king of the jungle.

It is not cliche or bravado. It is a primal urge, nature driving me to protect my own.

A short time after the discovery of the open door I confirmed that there was nothing to be alarmed about but the uneasy feeling stayed with me. I am wide awake. Here I sit at the computer decompressing.

In the morning I'll be tired and walking around with a sheepish grin about the door. In the light of the day I am sure that I'll think I got uptight about nothing, but right now the dark whispers to me and I am not so sure.

3 comments:

fashionista cat in a zero gravity shoe-store said...

I can see quite well in the dark, but have never been to comfortable in it. Confession time: there's a teddy bear that's been sleeping in my bed for almost 28 years now...

Bill said...

So did you ever determine how the door became open?

Jack Steiner said...

That teddy bear must need a bath. ;)

Bill,

I think that I probably did it. I used it a few times. I must not have shut it completely.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...