Misplaced Priorities- The Saggy Pants Crackdown

"Proposals to ban saggy pants are starting to ride up in several places. At the extreme end, wearing pants low enough to show boxers or bare buttocks in one small Louisiana town means six months in jail and a $500 fine. A crackdown also is being pushed in Atlanta. And in Trenton, getting caught with your pants down may soon result in not only a fine, but a city worker assessing where your life is headed.

"Are they employed? Do they have a high school diploma? It's a wonderful way to redirect at that point," said Trenton Councilwoman Annette Lartigue, who is drafting a law to outlaw saggy pants. "The message is clear: We don't want to see your backside."
I am not a fan of the saggy pants look. It always looked ridiculous to me, but I haven't viewed it as being a huge problem either. Apparently others do because there is a growing movement to end the sag.

It seems like a bad case of misplaced priorities to me. If they had to pick on one aspect of fashion to go after I'd do something about body modification. Like the guy in the picture below. Why oh why would you do that.

Still, these are low on my list of priorities. What about trying to help the homeless or make health care more accessible than it is today.

9 comments:

Jack Steiner said...

I can't figure out why someone would do that.

Guilty Secret said...

Eurgh!

I totally agree... not a big fan of baggy trousers, as we call them over here, but get your priorities sorted, eh?

Alice said...

It has gone from boxers poking out of the top to full exposure of the bottom. I'm talking pants fully below the ass. Are we going to let girls walk around with their tops pulled up over their bust?

(And yes I know that's a perfect set up.) : )

Deadman said...

"Are we going to let girls walk around with their tops pulled up over their bust?"

Why not???

Jack Steiner said...

GS,

Trousers is a word that we use sometimes. People understand it, as long as the person saying it doesn't have a funny accent. ;)

Alice,

I'd answer it but I might get busted.

Mark,

:)

Kol Ra'ash Gadol said...

But hey, wouldn't it be a crackup?

Jack Steiner said...

KRG,

Oy vey.

Anonymous said...

I'm not a fan of saggin by any means, but let's get real - cities have bigger priorities than a dress code where skin is not exposed. Yes, pants are below the butt, but the butt is covered by underwear - unlike exposed breasts, belly buttons, midrifts, butt cheeks etc. on women. So what's next? A ban on hairstyles, hair color, nail polish? How about expending resources to address real problems and crimes against society??

Jack Steiner said...

That would be a novel idea wouldn't it.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...