No! No! No! Eye Tattoos Are Out

July 31, 2007 -- IF you think tattoos are so over, you've got another think coming. The latest in permanent ink? Tats on your eyeball. That's right - a sharp stick in the eye.

When doctors do it, it's called corneal tattooing; but when perfectly healthy folks looking for new horizons in tattooing, piercing, scarring, etc., do it, it's nuts.

Last month, the online magazine BMEzine.com (short for Body Modification) started chronicling three people's efforts to turn the whites of their eyes blue.

To tattoo the eyes, they used two different procedures. First they used a traditional needle with ink on it, but when the ink didn't hold, they switched to a syringe that injected ink into the eye. The most recent posts indicate that all was well, with one of the guys saying it felt like he had something in his eye.

For the full story please click here.

10 comments:

Sarah Likes Green said...

ick.

those coloured, patterned contacts are creepy too. but not quite like a tatoo.

Anonymous said...

What, Tattoos are in the eyes? People getting crazy about new things, their curiosity drive them to try out these things without analyzing the post-effects...
European Roadside Assistance Belgium

Chana said...

Just had a conversation at work and my boss was describing a new procedure where they slit part of the white of the eye and put in a little gem- a snowflake or something-and then there's a tattoo on their eye. Ugh.

Anonymous said...

That is without a doubt the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. People are whacked.

Kol Ra'ash Gadol said...

I'm so eye phobic, I can't watch people put in contacts; eye exams are a torture for me; not only couldn't I read the whole article, I couldn't read the comments either, so all I have to say is...eeeerrgghrhrhgah! EEEW! EEEW! EEEW! ACK!

Jack Steiner said...

Sarah,

The contacts are one thing, this is...another.

Peter,

I appreciate the comment but the free advertising less so. You're welcome to comment here but there is no need to add the additional link.

Chana,

I have seen some of those. I don't like them.

Joe,

It is right up there.

KRG,

My finger is in my eye right now. Hee hee. ;)

We're the ones who have to put up with them said...

I'm with KRG on this one. It hurts me just to look at it.

Why people? I don't get it.

Bill said...

I find tattoos vain, but this isn't vain it's insane.

Anonymous said...

this made me gag, but just a little...
l have a hard time even putting on my glasses!!
auch!

James Cole said...

Sure this irks me out a lil, but I must say most of what we call normal today accumulated from people diverging from the norm, and having enough sheep to back them.
Thank god I can sleep in on sundays!

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...