Thoughts For a Saturday Night

I am listening to the theme for The Magnificent Seven. I love it. I have probably played it a million times. Every time it plays I can't help but visualize myself riding my horse Buck. Sometimes I am galloping and other times I am just wading through some stream on my way to the far side.

I need to write the follow up post to the Poop Patrol. If I remember I'll call it "The Phantom Pooper." One day I need to write about the time I had to go dumpster diving to save a whole heap of Tallitot and Tefillin.

I am getting killed in the JIBs. I have tried hard not to mention this. I don't blog to win awards and I won't change my style just to win, but I am competitive by nature. It is not easy to lose, so I console myself by saying that if I worked at driving traffic to the site I would probably be more competitive.

All that being said there are far more important things in the world. One of the guys I play basketball is going back to Iraq. He says that he can't wait and I believe him. His head is playing games with him so he wants to go back where nothing makes sense. His words not mine. I don't care what your position on the war is, it cannot be easy to see these things.

I have another friend who is in desperate need of help but not willing to accept it. I'd like to introduce him to a friend of Bill's but he is not ready. It is not easy to watch, but some people have got to hit rock bottom before they can get help.

My cousin's brain tumor treatment is continuing but the long term prognosis is not good. Tie in another friend who has a rare form of cancer and you have an awful trinity. It is not the father, the son and the holy ghost but something far darker and discouraging.

So when I sit here and think of my own challenges I have to admit that on the whole things look pretty good.

I have read a number of posts recently in which Reform and Orthodox Jews have engaged in some really nasty mud slinging. It irks me. I won't spend much time bitching about it as I am not in the mood. But let's get something straight, the people that hate Jews don't care if you are a Chassid or Mitnagid. They don't care if you eat shellfish or keep Glatt Kosher. They don't care if you say Kaparot or Kaparos. They don't care if your minhagim change with the wind or if you haven't a clue as to what minhagim are.

It is not hysteria nor hyperbole to say that they want to kill you all. Don't get me wrong, there has never been a better time to be Jewish. But look at Daniel Pearl, Nick Berg, Ilan Halimi and so many others. There are people who hate and act upon that hate.

Anyway, I don't want to end on a sour note. So here is a dirty joke. A boy fell in the mud.

2 comments:

Mark said...

"I'd like to introduce him to a friend of Bill's but he is not ready. It is not easy to watch, but some people have got to hit rock bottom before they can get help."

Exactly. It is a program based on attraction, not promotion. Introducing him to a friend of Bill's is an exercise in futility unless he asks for that introduction. You can, however, pray for him to find guidance. I hope he finds his way there soon.

Jack Steiner said...

Prayer is about all that I have for him right now, unfortunately.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...