Singing With My Kids

The kids and I have developed a little routine in which we sit down at the 'puter and do a little singing together. Sometimes we hit your traditional kids songs but for the most part we have been focused on music that has a slightly older demographic.

Lately they have been sitting on my lap and joining me in a rousing rendition of Mud on the Tires. I say rousing because we're pretty loud. They're too young to be self-conscious about it so we just let her rip and go with it.

The song starts out kind of slow.

"I've got some big news
The bank finally came through
And I'm holdin' the keys to a brand new Chevrolet
Have you been outside it sure is a nice night
How about a little test drive
Down by the lake

There's a place I know about where the dirt road runs out
And we can try out the four-wheel drive
Come on now what do you say
Girl, I can hardly wait to get a little mud on the tires
Gradually it speeds up

'Cause it's a good night
To be out there soakin' up the moonlight
Stake out a little piece of shoreline
I've got the perfect place in mind
It's in the middle of nowhere only way to get there
You got to get a little mud on the tires"

Country songs progress into various other tunes and all sorts of craziness. Sometimes we dance to The Killers, or The Chili Peppers or some other loud band.

Eventually it becomes time to crank it back a notch and try to restore some sanity. Lately my daughter and I have spent a few minutes dancing to various artists. She loves Shirley Bassey and Tom Jones. It cracks me up to hear her sing Goldfinger and Thunderball.

If nothing else I can promise that I have passed along my love for music and reading to them.

Sorry for the choppy ending, just noticed the time.

4 comments:

Dan Balsamo said...

That's cute! I sing to my kids all the time. My daughter would always lighten up whenever I do. I've adapted this from my mother (may she rest in peace) who did the same thing when I was growing up. Sometimes we'd just sit by the porch and sing for hours. She seem to love the oldies too.

Mel Balsamo
JRomances.com

Paula said...

My youngest and I scream er sing along to my weird oldies all the time. She was the only one in her 7th grade class who knew Henry The Eighth (I am I am) and sang it with the teacher. I was so proud! LOL

Lori said...

When my kids were young and we lived in Michigan, we would drive back to central Illinois to visit relatives regularly. We used to sing together during much of the 4 hour drive. One song we used to sing often was "Pinkee and the Brain". These drives are a good memory for me. I treasure them.

Jack Steiner said...

Mel,

Sounds nice.

Paula,

Henry The Eighth- I remember the kid at camp who couldn't stop singing that song.

Liorah,

That is great.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...