Schlafly: Married Women Can't Get Raped

Some of you may be familiar with Phyllis Schlafly, the arch nemesis of the feminist movement. To put it mildly her views on the role of women are controversial in many circles.

At a recent speech at Bates College she asserted that married women cannot be raped by their husbands.
At one point, Schlafly also contended that married women cannot be sexually assaulted by their husbands.

"By getting married, the woman has consented to sex, and I don't think you can call it rape," she said.
This is not a view that I subscribe to. I think that a married couple has certain obligations and that one of them is to help their spouse with their sexual needs but not at the expense of one being completely subjugated to the other. Just to be clear the scope of obligations relative to needs is going to be subjective and based upon an agreement between the spouses.

I wonder how many other people (read women) subscribe to her point of view. I know that there is an audience for it, but how large is it.

On a side note but related to this I think that the biggest impediment to electing a female president will be other women, but that is a post for a different day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is nothing new for her. She's been saying this same crap for years. I'm guessing that most of the women who listen to her live in the Bible Belt.

Anonymous said...

she's a nutburger with a side of loon.

tafka PP said...

Thankfully, the law doesn't agree with her!

I've never heard of her. I feel somewhat enlightened! (Not in a good way)

JJ said...

Is she still around? I remember reading about her when I was in 6th grade and we had a class debate re. womens' rights.

What utter nonsense comes out of that woman's mouth. I'm with Tafka- good thing the law knows better in this case!

Jack Steiner said...

Joe,

The bible belt would be my guess as well

Miriam,

A side of loon.I like that.

PP,

She doesn't make the headlines all that often anymore.

RR,

She is a piece of work.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...