ABC- Proofread, Proofread Proofread


Dear ABC News,

I wasn't surprised to see that the lowly and overrated Buckeyes lost the national championship. But I must say that I was disappointed in your headline.

As shown above you used the word Duel as Inigo Montoya would say, I do not think that it means what you think that it means.
du·el ('əl, dyū'-) pronunciation
n.
  1. A prearranged, formal combat between two persons, usually fought to settle a point of honor.
  2. A struggle for domination between two contending persons, groups, or ideas.

v., -eled or -elled, -el·ing or -el·ling, -els or -els. v.tr.
  1. To engage (another) in or as if in formal combat.
  2. To oppose actively and forcefully.
v.intr.

To engage in or as if in formal combat.

[Middle English duelle, from Medieval Latin duellum, from Latin, war, archaic variant of bellum.]

dueler du'el·er or du'el·ist n.
What you should have used is Dual. Tut, tut, tut.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oy.

Soccer Dad said...

Though I'd think that two teams of 40 some players going after each other with six guns would be more exciting than a football game. And bloodier.

Jack Steiner said...

MIL,

Oy is right.

SD,

That takes ultimate fighting to a whole new level.

Stacey said...

Buckeyes still rock!

Anonymous said...

how embracing, oy I mean how embarrassing!

Anonymous said...

I saw an advertisement on the bus today, by a law firm, seeking business from folks going through "seperation" and divorce.

That's one law firm I would not call. I doubt they ever completed their duhgreez.

Jack Steiner said...

buckeyes suck. ;)

JS,


Very.

Stephen,

duhgreez.

;)

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...