Rocky Balboa- My confession

Confession of the morning. I have to go see the new Rocky movie. I watched the trailer this morning and it just got me going.

I suspect that if you are of a certain age, especially if you were a boy/teenager in the 70s-80s time frame you are going to have a certain reaction to hearing the theme. Gonna Fly Now starts playing and you start looking for the punching bag, it is always in my workout rotation.

How many of you have been to Philadelphia and run the steps. I know that I am not the only one who has done it, there must have been a half dozen other guys who just did it with me. I remember the day. It was a good four years or so ago.

There they were, the steps beckoning to me and then suddenly I was off and running. I could hear the guys on other side of me. It was spontaneous, impromptu running, but we just did it. Up the steps we flew hands above our heads triumphantly.

And then it was over and we were just a few average Joes with a sheepish grin across our face.

FWIW, Eye of the Tiger (the link is to the 80's vide0) is on the workout rotation as well. It is another song that gets the blood pumping. It doesn't have the same affect upon me as Gonna Fly Now, but it is close.

The truth is that I dig this kind of stuff. I love testing myself. I love that test of wills. Who wants it more. Who is willing to dig, to take the punishment to win.

Cliche or not, there is truth to old saw 'No Pain, No Gain."

You'll have to excuse me now. I have a heavy bag that I still use. I need to go pound it for a few moments.

5 comments:

cruisin-mom said...

Jack: the first Rocky movie was wonderful, charming, heartwarming. I love the music, and yes, I've run up those stairs (over 20 years ago...don't know if I could do it now!). But you don't have to be a guy to have a reaction to that music. Just makes you want to punch something (or someone ;)

Anonymous said...

Me too- after I saw the first movie I wanted to take up boxing. Not the eating the raw egg in the blender, but the rest of it looked so gritty and cool and... manly. It was everything that I wasn't at 13.

Anonymous said...

The original Rocky is one of my favorite movies. I have sort of mocked the concept of this sequel - after Rocky 5 I'm kind of skeptical - but I admit it looks good from the preview. I will definitely see it.

The Misanthrope said...

Well once again I am in the minority. I thought the first one was great, but the rest were pitiful. My hope for this one is that Rocky gets his head beat in and drops dead in the ring.

Jack Steiner said...

CM,

Mr. Crusin better be careful. ;)

Amishav,

Raw egg puts hair on your chest, or so the older boys told us young impressionable lads,

Elie,

The first was awesome.

M,

It could happen.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...