Digital Photography Thoughts

A little free association for you.

I have been lucky enough to own a digital camera for the past four, maybe five years or so. The days of dealing with 110, 126 and 35mm are fading fast. Ok, upon occasion I still use my 35mm. It takes nice photos and there are some advantages to using it.

I have two digital cameras. They are both made by Sony. One is a 3.2 pixel model and the other is 6.0. I remember being really pleased by the older model. It made me feel like a kid in a candy shop. There were so many cool things to do with it.

I especially loved having the ability to delete bad shots. No longer would I have wasted film. The old trick of throwing out the bad photos was no longer needed.

Over time my love for the camera waned a bit. We grew apart, our interests didn't mesh in the same way anymore. You see the camera was a bit like the turtle I blogged about earlier.

It moved slowly. It wasn't interested in trying to keep up with precocious children. It refused to snap the photos as fast I wanted it to. My photos began to look like some weird avant-garde artist's collection. There were lots of pictures of the backs and sides of children. The same children who moments before were in the full frame.

All it had to do was move a bit faster. We could have made it work. Snap the photos more quickly. I begged, please little camera just click while the kids are facing you. But it just refused so I had to go out and grab a replacement.

The new guy has been around for several months. He is better about keeping up and he takes nice shots, but there is a problem with him too. The new guy has a 1 gig memory stick.

Now I have to work hard to keep up with him. If I am not careful he'll hold onto 1,202,987 pictures. Do you know what a pain-in-the-ass it is to try and review all of those shots. Let me tell you, it is not easy.

Every week I have to make time to sit down and upload the photos to the computer. Every week I have to take my time to sift through the shots and make sure that I keep the good and get rid of the bad.

I wish that I could say that I always keep my appointments with the little master, but sometimes circumstances have prevented me from doing so. It is a mess.

Oy.

4 comments:

mist1 said...

The ability to delete bad photos has moved me from a bad photographer to an okay one.

Jack Steiner said...

That describes quite a few people.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I feel so obsolete using my 35mm camera (we still don't have a digital!), but I have to admit I love the thrill of seeing my pictures in person for the first time when they are developed. Call me old school!

Jack Steiner said...

TN,

It is exciting to wait to see the pictures after they have been developed.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...