Morality Without Religion- A Comment to The Self-Righteous Part II

Part one generated quite a bit of feedback both online and off so I thought that I would follow up with a couple of thoughts/clarifications.

I am not adverse nor anti-religion. As I said in my initial post I think that it has a valid role in the world. I believe in G-d. I am very much a proud Jew.

All that being said I haven't changed my position that some people are under the misguided impression that the non religious have no moral compass. And based upon personal experiences as well as those of others I find the self-righteous attitude of some to be irksome.

To clarify further, I have a number of friends who are now BT. They are in different places on the derech, some are relatively recent and others have been there for years. I also have a number of friends who are FFB.

Some of my BT friends and their acquaintances have shared certain thoughts with me. Specifically they have spoken about how empty they felt their lives were and that becoming BT had given them something that they were missing.

I have been to various kiruv shiurim in which similar thoughts were shared and it was suggested that any unhappiness or depression we felt was because we hadn't opened our hearts to hashem.

I am sure that this is the case for some people, but it isn't for me. As I mentioned in the prior post, I take issue when people suggest that I wear a sweater because they are cold.

Simple as that.

3 comments:

Jewish Atheist said...

Thanks for the support. :-)

Jack Steiner said...

JA,

No problem. Keep sending in those checks. ;)

Stacey,

You are a closet BT. I feel it in my bones. ;)

Jack Steiner said...

JA,

No problem. Keep sending in those checks. ;)

Stacey,

You are a closet BT. I feel it in my bones. ;)

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...