In Reference To The Pope's Recent Comments

I ran this next blurb last March, but it is appropriate for now as well. Here it comes, in its entirety:
"In a more culturally confident age, the British in India were faced with the practice of "suttee" - the tradition of burning widows on the funeral pyres of their husbands. Gen. Sir Charles Napier was impeccably multicultural:

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: When men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks, and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."

This makes sense to me. It ties in well with stories about converts who face death sentences, riots based on cartoons or murders of people because of their ethnicity/religion. The time is coming when we are going to have to make a decision whether to push or be pushed.

3 comments:

Lady-Light said...

Jack, it's incredible what is going on. The whole world is afraid of the BULLY, as I've said time and time again. When I first read what the Pope had said in his speech, and the Moslem reaction, I literally cracked up! Doesn't the world see what is happening? It's an embarrasment that the Pope backed down and apologized (not that the Catholics have been so sweet to the Jews over the centuries,have they).
p.s. - I have a new post, in which I link your site - check it out, ok?

dorothy rothschild said...

Oh.the.irony.

First of the leader of the Catholic church, a branch of Christianity that has perpetrated so much evil on this planet in the name of their god, calling an aspect of another religion "evil."

And then the reaction of that other religion crying foul, and adherents of it crying foul by shooting an elderly nun and burning shit.

Jack Steiner said...

DR,

This should be part of some bad comedy, but it is not. sigh

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...