Mumbai's "Hitler" eatery Update

Here is an update to this story.
"A restaurant named after Adolf Hitler that enraged Bombay's Jewish community will soon have a new moniker, its owner promised Thursday.

Puneet Sablok said he would remove Hitler's name and the Nazi swastika from billboards and the eatery's menu after it had angered so many people. He had previously said the name and symbols were only meant to attract attention.

"Yes, I have decided to change the name. I never wanted to hurt people's
feelings," said Sablok, who made the decision after meeting with members from Bombay's small Jewish community.

"Once they told me how upset they were with the name, I decided to change it. I never wanted to create this controversy or hurt people with this name," said Sablok. "I don't want to do business by hurting people."

Hitler's Cross opened five days ago and serves pizza, salad and pastries in Navi Mumbai, a suburb of Bombay, also known as Mumbai.

Bombay's Jews had called the theme of the restaurant offensive, and demanded a name change. There are about 5,500 Jews in India, with about 4,500 of them living in Bombay."
I am happy see this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it was a deliberate attempt to gain publicity,news media here in india carried the item as if it was
part of their tidbits segment,featuring laughing teenagers reponding to "what do you think" questions.

mumbai may be cosmopolitan,but largely ignorant in its handling of sensitive cultural& ethnic issues,clearly demonstrated in the attack by right wing organizations like shiv sena on south indians and biharis which have evoked anything but a whimper of a protest from mumbaicitizens.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...