Thomas The Tank Engine

For a short while this little engine was the end all/be all for my son. Thomas The Tank Engine and his friends provided endless hours of joy.

He drove the little trains around the track he set up around the house. He drove the little trains around restaurants, the homes of families and friends and through various stores.

During quiet moments he very much enjoyed watching his Thomas videos and singing along with the various songs.

"A dragon lives forever but not so little boys
Painted wings and giant rings make way for other toys."

And then one day he lost interest in Thomas and company. Sir Topham Hat stayed in his drawer. James, Edward, Henry, Percy and Gordon- they all were relegated to the station house.

That little boy I used to see around the house grew up a little bit and began spending more time riding his bike, driving Hot Wheels and playing tag with his friends.

When I asked him about it he said "Dad, I still like to play with him, but I am older now," and with that statement I saw the future. It was a little strange, but I swear for a moment his face was older and there was a hint of a five o'clock shadow, his voice was deeper and I could almost see the man he is going to grow to be.

And for that one moment I experienced a mixture of sad and happy feelings. I am not quite ready for him to be that old. I got a little misty eyed at thoughts of the future. And then the moment passed and the little boy was back standing in front of me.

As with all of his toys I am sure that the day will come when Thomas regains his most favored toy status, but for now he'll have to settle for something else.

8 comments:

Val said...

I love when men express sensitive stuff like this... cuz we KNOW that deep down inside, you guys are just as mushy as us women folk about stuff like this, but don't always feel like sharing!

I wonder what it'll be like for our kids to read what we've written about them on our blogs. I also wonder what THEY'LL be doing 30 yrs from now to 'express' themselves...

have popcorn will lurk said...

Jack !! We saw Thomas a couple weeks ago, just outside your favorite your favorite place (Cleveland)! (Third picture down) It was across from the Boston Mills ski lifts (a day trip from home for us).

It was a complete accident that we happened upon him, but a thrill, esp. for the 3 year old, in his Thomas shoes!

Day Out With Thomas is a nationwide tour. The Edaville event near Cape Cod looks like even more fun, with amusement park rides!

PsychoToddler said...

Beautiful, Jack. I'm actually there now. My boys watched Thomas too (in fact when he was small, I thought Larry looked like thomas). They also were into dinosaurs legos and star wars. Well, they're teenagers, they shave, and they're in HS now. They don't play with thomas, dinosaurs, or legos anymore. But THANK GOD WE STILL HAVE STAR WARS!! Battlefront 2 on the XBOX Rulz!

Shelli said...

oh! I share your feelings, my friend...

What a moment for you.

Stacey said...

Thomas came to town last month. We rode on him. It was sooooo fun!

... Is the Window to Our Soul said...

A great place to visit for train lovers is in Lancaster County, PA. There is an awesome museum and train ride.

Jack Steiner said...

Val,

Good question. Thirty years from now- it is as hard for me to visualize as it was 30 years ago.

Chana,

We took the little guy to see Thomas a couple of years ago. It was a lot of fun.

PT,

My son is just starting to get into the whole XBox thing. We play Scooby Doo together.

Shelli,

Thanks.

Stacey,

I am sure.

Sweet,

I'll have to check that out some day.

Anonymous said...

Mine is still in the Thomas stage--and I'm happy for it to last as long as possible!

What a poignant post! I wonder if you would be interested in submitting it to a new carnival I am trying to get started: the Roundhouse Roundup, a celebration of model trains and childhood? Details here: http://thomasinstitute.blogspot.com/2006/06/roundhouse-roundup.html

Thanks for thinking about it!

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...