Rapex: The Rape Prevention Device Delayed

I saw this on Gizmodo.

"The Rapex rape prevention device has been delayed until late this year. As you may remember, the gadget goes inside of a woman and clamps down on a rapist’s penis to force him into getting medical attention, which in turn will alert the authorities that he is a rapist (or the victim of a horrible practical joke)."
I am not so sure that I like this idea, not because I approve of rape. I certainly do not, but it doesn't really prevent the act from taking place. I am not sure how practical it is. I imagine that it could end up creating more problems for the victim as it may not incapacitate the attacker but will certainly enrage him and could cause him to become even more violent.

All in all it is a horrible position to be in and a sad statemen that we even have to think about such things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you are correct on this one. But then I believe from hearing other stories about this device, it is primarily going to be used for South African women. Apparently there is a higher rape rate there.

Almost 20 years

Next week marks the 20th anniversary of the launch of this spot. Hard to believe, not many have kept going since then. I have barely kept up...