Cat Meat- It is Not Just For Breakfast

'Banner-wielding animal rights protesters swarmed into a restaurant on Lianhua Road in Buji Subdistrict serving cat meat and forced it to shut down, Xinhua reported yesterday.

The 100 or so demonstrators, including women and children, held up banners reading "cats and dogs are friends of human beings" as they entered the Fangji Cat Meatball restaurant and demanded the owner free any live cats on the premises, Xinhua said.

There were none in the building as the owner had already moved them out, the report said. But some burst into tears upon finding a skinned cat in a fridge.

"I cannot go on with my business and I will not sell cat meat any more," the restaurant owner was quoted as saying, although he defended his trade by saying eating cat was a tradition in Guangdong Province.

The organizer of the protest, identified only as Isobel, the founder of a cat protection Web site, said the restaurant had been chosen because it killed cats in the street and it was "very bad for the students from nearby schools."


meOW.

5 comments:

Jim said...

I wonder if they had preferences as to breed of cat, siamese, persian, etc? No place for cats, wonder why the word didn't get around?

I'm getting hungry now, but for vegetables.

BarnGoddess_01 said...

gross! poor kitties

Elie said...

I have a running joke whenever our dog is misbehaving, I say "that's it, I'm calling the Chinese restaurant, you're tomorrow's blue plate special!"

Unknown said...

Anthony Bourdain went to Vietnam and was served something funky which he was sure was cat. Then they handed him the quill to pick his teeth. Yup...porcupine!

Jack Steiner said...

Jim,

Good question.

BG,

I am not real fond of cats, but I don't think that I'd eat or advocate eating one.

Elie,

Does it work?

Z,

Porcupine. Lucky guy.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...