Just Some Random Thoughts

It was drizzling outside. The sky was overcast and through the tinted windows of the bus it appeared to be a little later in the day than it was. As we cruised through Jerusalem I was lost in thoughts of the past and the present.

I was listening to The Cranberries sing Zombie.
"Another head hangs lowly,
Child is slowly taken.
And the violence caused such silence,
Who are we mistaken?

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying... "
In a strange coincidence as Dolores O'Riordan sang the second verse there was a very loud thump. It startled me and I jumped. I looked outside the window and saw a bunch of kids throwing rocks at the bus. That was the source of the noise.

One of their rocks had hit the bus. Had it been an open air bus I might have been more disturbed by the rock. It certainly sounded like it had hit the wall I was leaning against, but maybe it hadn't. Maybe it had collided further down, I am not really sure. All that I know was that as soon as I heard her warble on about tanks and bombs there was a very loud noise.

It has been a while since I last thought about that. Tonights flashback was a result of the shuffle function on my iTunes. The song that followed Zombie was Heroes by David Bowie. Here is a snapshot of some others.

The Man's Too Strong- Dire Straits
I Will Find You (From "The Last of the Mohicans")- Clannad
Need You Tonight- Inxs
Dragostea Din Tei- Ozone
The Unknown Soldier- The Doors
If You Were Mine 1970- Ray Charles
She's Got A Way [live]- Billy Joel
Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting- Elton John
Harry's Game - Clannad
Homeward Bound- Simon & Garfunkel
Miss Gradenko- The Police

And now for random thoughts about the songs above. That Dire Straights album was one of the first CDs I ever purchased. Sounded great then and now. I picked up Graceland by Paul Simon at the same time.

That song from Clannad is a promise to someone special. You know that I will always find you. Distance great or far has no meaning. I am tuned to your wavelength.

Need You Tonight- Sorry 'R' rated material is currently being censored. That really aggravates you doesn't it. Hee hee.

Dragostea- My son loves that song. We have a goofy dance that we do to it.

The Unknown Soldier- Not my favorite Doors song by a long shot, but good college memories associated with it.

Ray Charles- That song was a personal anthem for a short period of time in my life. Thanks for making life a little more pleasant.

She's Got a Way- Not my favorite Billy Joel song, reminds me of too many Bat Mitzvahs.

Elton- That song gives me a bad case of lead foot. I just enjoy driving to it.

Harry's Game- Not sure why but this song always makes me think that at some point in time I am going to live in Ireland. I do have Irish relatives. Maybe it is time I increase the Jewish population there.

Homeward Bound- This song instantly evokes thoughts of camp and Israel.

Miss Gradenko- A smoky club in Tel Aviv and a girl from the East coast. Not to mention a few high school parties.

Friends of my parents think that my nephew looks like me. I am not so sure about that. It is a little early to say who he looks like, but he could do worse. ;)

My sister and BIL are trying to adjust to the shock of being first time parents. The BIL needs a bit of an attitude adjustment. I think that this is much harder than he expected it to be. The boy needs to grow up faster than he wants to.

I don't know about you, but the idea of standing for a flight holds no interest whatsoever to me.

That is it for now, sleep beckons.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember that 'zombie' song. That was dedicated to the shootings in Sarajevo and the wider Balkan conflict, right?

Jack Steiner said...

I think that it is actually in reference to the troubles in Ireland.

PsychoToddler said...

Ms Gradenko is on the same album that features one of the best Police songs:

"Mother"

Well, the telephone is ringing
Is that my mother on the phone?
The telephone is ringing
Is that my mother on the phone?
The telephone is screaming
Won’t she leave me alone
The telephone is ringing
Is that my mother on the phone?

Well, every girl I got out with
Becomes my mother in the end
Every girl I go out with
Becomes my mother in the end
Well, I hear my mother calling
But I don’t need her as a friend
Every girl I go out with
Becomes my mother in the end

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...