The System Makes The Man

David at Rishon Rishon has an interesting post called The System Makes The Man.
"As much as I am a champion of the individual, and of communities in free association (as opposed to government-determined communities), I do think that to a very large extent, the "system" determines our behavior. A large bureaucracy, for example, will promote laziness and indifference in even among the most hard-working and caring. "
I think that there is truth to this statement but that I am not convinced that is true across the board or even how prevalent it is. You can fault me for splitting hairs but I wonder what the definition is of hard working and caring people. And even if we agreed upon a definition is there any real way to measure such a thing.

No comments:

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...