Physical Exercise

Sometimes we reach a point at which our brains are overstimulated and we feel like we have reached a point of information overload.

At times like this simple tasks may feel difficult which is part of why I highly recommend that people in engage in both mental and physical exercises.

I have a heavy bag in my garage that I use as part of my physcial regimen. On a consistent basis I enjoy heading out there to pound out the frustrations of daily life on the old bag.

Typically I throw some kind of upbeat music into the CD player and start with some stretching and jumping around, a little shadow boxing. As my body begins to warm up and I feel the beginning of a sweat building I start throwing a few jabs and then progress to combinations.

I try to make sure that the musical selection is appropriate. Techno is not a bad choice, but the reality is that all I really need is something that has a fast pace and a beat because ultimately my goal is to just start raining punches down on the bag until I am too exhausted to swing any longer.

The hardest part of this is that my bag is not fixed in place. It has a base that is weighted but it is not heavy enough to prevent me from chasing it around the garage. Eventually I am going to purchase a heavy bag that I can hang in my garage.

3 comments:

Ezzie said...

One of my favorite Far Sides!

Anonymous said...

From a practical standpoint, your workout's probably better for having to run after the bag. If you want to really maximize your intensity, put the damn thing on wheels. Remember, only wimps beat on things that can't get away.

Jack Steiner said...

Hi Ezzie,

There is something special about that one.

Judi,

In certain cases that is true, but the heavy bag takes a lot out of you, if you do it right. Try throwing punches steadily for just three minutes and you'll see.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...