The XBox

My neighbor decided that he didn't want his XBox anymore and gave it to me. Yes, he gave it to me. Oy. I love video games. Always have.

When I was a much younger lad, so much younger than today I never needed any help playing a video game, but that is not longer the case. The old Atari 2600 looked like the unit below.
It used a simple joystick and paddles. It was very basic and quite a lot of fun.
This XBox is insanely cool and complicated. Look at the controller. It has so many buttons. I feel like such an old fart. I am slowly growing accustomed to it, but it is taking time.
Tonight I purchased a game, Madden NFL '05. The '06 version is out but it costs an additional $18 so I said screw it and saved the money.

I am 36 and playing video games again. I love it. I feel like that little boy playing Pong or Space Invaders. I can't wait to play with my son. I better start now while he is only 4.5 because pretty soon he'll be better than me.

But in the meantime I'll take advantage of my superior motor skills for what little time I can.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

ooh, can we all go to Jack's house and play with his new x-box?

Jack Steiner said...

I am going to keep that thing all to myself. ;)

bornfool said...

I had to quit playing video games when the controllers started having that many buttons. Too complicated for me.

Jack Steiner said...

Complicated is right.

stc said...

It's more than just complicated: it's work!

I have never been big on video games, but I did enjoy some of the older and simpler ones: Mario brothers and Commander Keen (which you played on a PC) were two favourites.

But now? — forget about it! Figuring out how to play is like studying for a university exam; developing the manual dexterity is like training for the Olympics. It's official: I'm over the hill, on the downward slope to the void.
Q

PsychoToddler said...

Go get Project Gotham Racing 2 and connect the XBOX to the internet and I'll play online with you.

Jack Steiner said...

PT,

I'll have to look into that. Need to wait a paycheck or two, before I buy it. But that would be pretty cool.

Jack Steiner said...

Q,

I have faith that you can master this, if you want to.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...