Michael Jackson Jurors

I am really irritated by some of the comments I have read from the jurors on the Michael Jackson trial.

"Eleanor Cook and Ray Hultman said in a televised interview that they believed the singer's young accuser was sexually assaulted.

"No doubt in my mind whatsoever, that boy was molested, and I also think he enjoyed to some degree being Michael Jackson's toy," Cook said on MSNBC's "Rita Cosby: Live and Direct."

Their comments will have no bearing on the verdict, which prosecutors cannot appeal.

Cook and Hultman said they agreed to go along with the other jurors when it became apparent that they would never convict the pop star. The two denied being motivated by money and tried to explain why they were coming forward now.

"There were a lot of people that were interested in this case from day one. People expect to know what's going on with their justice system and how things work," Hultman said.

Added Cook: "I'm speaking out now because I believe it's never too late to tell the truth."

Cook and Hultman also alleged that jury foreman Paul Rodriguezthreatened to have them kicked off the jury.

"He said if I could not change my mind or go with the group, or be more understanding, that he would have to notify the bailiff, the bailiff would notify the judge, and the judge would have me removed," Cook said in a transcript provided by MSNBC.

Hultman said he also felt threatened and didn't want to get kicked off the trial."
Here are my thoughts in a nutshell. If I had been sitting on the jury and felt that he was guilty I would have never rolled over like this. I would not have compromised my beliefs and my principles for someone I considered to be a pedophile.

I would rather be kicked off of the jury, which may I add is not something that the foreman can do, than to come out two months later and make these comments. Not to mention that the fact that they have book deals make their comments look less than honest.

Their behavior is shameful. I cannot reconcile their words with the knowledge that they are trying to make a buck on this.

8 comments:

Sam said...

Jackasses.

Sam said...

Okay, I've read enough of your blog to be convinced that you belong on my links section. Nice, clean, well-written with good articles and interesting/kooky tidbits. I'm sold.

Or should I say "Love your blog! Visit my site at sexwithsocksoff.blah"

Jack Steiner said...

sexwithsocksoff

I may have to go run and patent that before someone else grabs it. Too funny.

Maddie said...

I cannot believe Cook said "I'm speaking out now because I believe it's never too late to tell the truth."

You are right Jack. It is shameful. It makes me want to cry that the jurors have no qualms backing down when they had the power to make a difference. Then make stupid statements after the fact? What a bunch of jerks.

I realize Michael Jackson's trial is high profile and receives an extraordinary amount of press...it is very difficult for the typical child abuse victim to even have their case accepted by a D.A. I'm afraid the disgraceful Jackson jury behavior will dishearten many survivors from pursuing legal justice, even beyond the already overwhelming stresses involved in seeking legal retribution.

Jack Steiner said...

MP,

I am just disgusted with the two of them. Jerks, they failed to meet their civic obligation.

The Misanthrope said...

I think that says it in a nutshell, they failed to meet their civic obligation.

AbbaGav said...

I agree with your take on this. But you would never have been allowed anywhere near this jury. The lawyers would have sniffed out your upstanding honesty and gotten you off that jury pool before you could taint the rest of the candidates.

Jack Steiner said...

One of these days I'll blog about my experiences on the two juries that I have participated in.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...