Medical Marijuana

Ok, I was just about to get back to work when I saw this article about the High Court's ruling on medical marijuana. I truly do not have time to Fisk this so I thought that I would comment quickly.

In the court's main decision, Stevens raised concerns about abuse of marijuana laws. "Our cases have taught us that there are some unscrupulous physicians who overprescribe when it is sufficiently profitable to do so," he said.


This is not a reason to deny the drug because the fact is that there are unscrupulous doctors who can overprescribe any drug. This should have no bearing whatsoever on the decision to legalize or deny prescription marijuana.

2 comments:

Alice said...

I agree. I'm not sure how reliable this statistic is, but I read that we spend more money each year chasing down, prosecuting, and jailing people for this crime than we do on nuclear weapons. Kind of mind blowing isn't it? I'm not one of these people who thinks it's harmless by any stretch of the imagination, but I certainly don't think it's worse than alcohol and in some ways better. I think one can become dependent on either.

Jack Steiner said...

I certainly think that this needs to be reviewed much more carefully. We spend a lot of time chasing our tails.

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...