Rickey Henderson is Still Playing Baseball

In his younger years I was never a big fan of Rickey Henderson. I always respected his athletic ability, but he just rubbed me the wrong way. But in recent years that has changed because in an era in which so many athletes fail to show a love for the game he still has it. Or so it seems to me.

Not to mention that I love reading about a man who is ten years older than me and still playing with the youngsters.

ESPN is running a great column today about how old Rickey is. Here are a couple of highlights:
"Henderson is so old, he once played a major league game the same day as Lou Brock and Jesus Alou, as well as Bud Harrelson and Vic Davalillo. Not to mention Mark Fidrych, David Clyde and Catfish Hunter.

Henderson is so old, one of his former teammates (Tommy John) and one of Babe Ruth's teammates (Lefty Gomez) shared a teammate (Early Wynn)."

Yes, that was Babe Ruth's teammate he spoke of. Kind of like six degrees of separation here.

"Henderson is older than Isiah Thomas and Mark Aguirre.

He is older than Clark Kellogg and Ralph Sampson.

He is older than Danny Ainge.

He is older than Sleepy Floyd.

He is older than Kurtis Blow, for heaven's sake.

Rickey Henderson is older than Ivan Lendl and John McEnroe. He is older than Tracy Austin.

He is older than Nadia Comaneci.

He is older than M.C. Hammer, "Weird Al" Yankovic and Sheena Easton.

He is older than Tatum O'Neil.

He is older than Nastassja Kinski."

And in case you are wondering Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.

No comments:

Not Quite Abandoned

I didn't think it had been as many months away from here as it has clearly been. I was certain I had updated this place in December and ...